TPO37-L1 Soil Formation
Listen to part of a lecture in the geology class.
- What is the lecture mainly about?
- A. The differences between mineralization and weathering.
- B. Processes that remove minerals from soil.
- C. Factors affecting the fertility of soil.
- D. Several processes involved in the creation of soil.
- What differences does the professor point out between sand particles and clay minerals?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. They combine with organic matter in different ways.
- B. They are formed by different types of weathering.
- C. The rocks they come from have different levels of resistance to weathering.
- D. Only sand particles have the same composition as the rock they come from.
- What does the professor point out about the compounds found in organic matter?
- A. They mineralized at different rates.
- B. They may resist combining with minerals in the soil.
- C. They occur in roughly equal amounts in plant tissue.
- D. They contain chemicals that are also found in inorganic materials.
- Why does the professor mention the dark brown color of soil?
- A. To explain that soil gets its color mainly from inorganic inputs.
- B. To indicate that humus is more easily transformed than the other components of soil.
- C. To show how the transformation and combination of inputs create the characteristics of soil.
- D. To discuss how the characteristics of humus are changed by weathering.
- According to the professor, how does water affect the composition of soil?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. It prevents new soil material from being incorporated.
- B. It separates the components of soil into layers.
- C. It causes chemical changes in the soil’s organic material.
- D. It can cause the loss of some of the soil material.
- Why does the professor say this: 🎧
- A. To draw attention to the complexity of soil formation.
- B. To stress the importance of organic matter in soil formation.
- C. To imply that soil contains other, more important components.
- D. To indicate one way soil can be formed.
D BD A C BD A