TPO34-L2 APS digestion
Listen to part of a lecture in an environmental engineering class.
1.What is the lecture mainly about?
- A. A new use for methane gas produced in landfills
- B. Environmental regulations regarding the management of organic wastes
- C. Removing bacteria from landfills and wastewater treatment plants
- D. A potentially useful technology for managing organic wastes
2.What is the professor’s opinion about the use of landfills to manage solid organic waste?
- A. Landfills should be expanded to accommodate more types of waste.
- B. Landfills are not a suitable long-term solution for solid organic waste disposal.
- C. Landfills should be built farther away from population centers.
- D. Landfills would be an effective means of recycling solid organic waste from farms.
3.What does the professor imply about processing solid organic waste in equipment designed for processing wastewater?
- A. It is an economical way to process solid waste.
- B. It is practical only for treating large amounts of solid waste.
- C. It is not an efficient way to process solid waste.
- D. It could reduce the cost of treating wastewater.
4.What does the professor suggest about methane and hydrogen gas?
- A. They have beneficial uses if harnessed and contained.
- B. They are destroyed in a later stage of APS processing.
- C. They are both extracted during the first phase of APS digestion.
- D. They are necessary to activate the anaerobic digestion process.
5.According to the professor, what are two advantages of APS digestion systems?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. They can eliminate the need to transport the waste material.
- B. They can handle both organic and nonorganic waste.
- C. They can turn waste into fuel for electrical power generation.
- D. They can be monitored efficiently from one central location.
6.What does the professor say is a promising focus for future research into APS digestion systems?
- A. Trying to find a way to reduce the size of the APS containers
- B. Trying to set up a demonstration project with a university
- C. Determining whether food scraps from restaurants can be used in the system
- D. Determining the most efficient combination of anaerobic bacteria
D B C A AC D