Listen to part of a lecture in an environmental science class.
- What is the lecture mainly about?
- A. Why fungi cannot grow well in polluted ecosystems
- B. Why fungi pose a danger to the underground water system
- C. How to prevent heavy metals from getting into the soil
- D. How fungi can clean up pollution that is in the soil
- What does the professor say about the way fungi get their food?
- A. They use certain metal compounds in the soil as nutrients.
- B. The enzymes that they produce allow them to absorb organic nutrients from the soil.
- C. They separate nutrients from heavy metals and then return the metals to the soil.
- D. Heavy metals interfere with their way of getting nutrients from the soil.
- What two points does the professor make about chitin?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. Chitin binds strongly to certain heavy metals.
- B. Insects need chitin in order to digest the fungi they eat.
- C. Chitin can be added to soil to create a good habitat for fungi.
- D. The cell walls of fungi, like the exoskeletons of insects, contain chitin.
- What do adsorption and absorption in fungi have in common?
- A. They both can help the production of new filaments.
- B. They both can increase the production of chitin.
- C. They both can help keep pollutants out of groundwater.
- D. They both result in the strengthening of cell walls.
- Why does the professor mention the antibiotic penicillin?
- A. To suggest that more fungi should be investigated as potential sources of medications
- B. To point out that certain heavy metals are needed for the production of penicillin
- C. To criticize the pharmaceutical industry for contributing to environmental pollution
- D. To show how a waste product from one process can be useful in another process
- Why does the professor say this: 🎧
- A. She does not have time to fully explain the reason.
- B. She is hopeful that students will be able to figure out the reason.
- C. She wonders why mushrooms are not already used for cleaning up pollution.
- D. She realizes that the research she has been discussing is still in its early stages.
D B AD C D C