TPO32-L3 The Copper Basin
Listen to part of a lecture in an earth science class. The professor is discussing an area of the United States called the Copper Basin.
- What is the lecture mainly about?
- A. The environmental effects of heap roasting.
- B. The reforestation efforts in the Copper Basin.
- C. The process of mining and producing copper.
- D. Damages caused during an attempt to clean up industrial waste.
- What is the professor’s opinion about the effort to reclaim the land in the Copper Basin?
- A. The techniques and materials used for the cleanup were probably outdated.
- B. Some attempts to clean up the Copper Basin have made the problems worse.
- C. It is not surprising that cleaning up the area has been extremely difficult.
- D. The cleanup has taken longer than necessary.
- What does the professor imply when he mentions an Olympic whitewater kayaking competition?
- A. That many people are unaware of the environmental problems in the Copper Basin.
- B. That a successful reclamation of the Copper Basin may be possible.
- C. That some activities in the Copper Basin must go on despite the pollution.
- D. That the Olympic competition should have been held in a different location.
- According to the lecture, why was heap roasting used in the producing of copper?
- A. To make copper ore easier to transport.
- B. To make copper ore safe for workers to handle.
- C. To transform copper ore into fuel.
- D. To remove impurities from copper ore.
- What factors led to the disappearance of trees in the Copper Basin?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. Mines were dug under areas where trees were growing.
- B. Loose soil led to trees being washed into the rivers.
- C. Trees growing near the mines were cut and used as fuel.
- D. Clouds of sulfur smoke killed trees in the area.
- What resulted from the lack of trees near the copper-mining operation?
- A. It became difficult to provide housing for all the workers.
- B. Rivers became filled with toxic soil.
- C. Coal and other fuel had to be transported into the area.
- D. The heap-roasting process had to be completed far from the mines.
A C B D CD B