TPO39-L1 Mineral Evolution
Listen to part of the lecture in a geology class.
- What is the main purpose of the lecture?
- A. To explain how geologists identified the minerals present during Earth’s formation.
- B. To explain why living organisms require certain minerals to survive.
- C. To explain the differences between simple and compound minerals.
- D. To explain a recent theory about mineral formation.
- What point does the professor make about the minerals present during Earth’s formation?
- A. They were comparatively few of them.
- B. They were more complex than minerals formed on other planets.
- C. Most were not affected by temperature and pressure changes on early earth.
- D. Some of them are no longer being formed naturally on Earth.
- What similarities does the professor point out between minerals and living organisms?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. Both first appeared on Earth at approximately the same time.
- B. They both can be formed only in the presence of oxygen.
- C. They both have become more diverse and complex over time.
- D. Not only are they both shaped by their environment, but both also affect it.
- What are stromatolites?
- A. Fossils remains of microbial mats.
- B. Layered deposits of iron-based minerals.
- C. Layers of rock that indicate changes in Earth’s pressure and temperature.
- D. Rock formations created when oxygen interacts with certain metals.
- Why does the professor talk about microbial mats?
- A. To explain why organisms tend to colonize near certain minerals.
- B. To describe how minerals can be created by living organisms.
- C. To illustrate the effects of geological processes on living organisms.
- D. To emphasize that evolving life depended on the presence of oxygen.
- What does the professor think about using evidence of minerals on another planet to determine whether life has existed there?
- A. He believes it is the most promising way to search life on another planet.
- B. He doubts that complex minerals will ever be found on another planet.
- C. He is cautious about assuming that certain minerals indicate the presence of life.
- D. He is surprised that the technique was not suggested until recently.
D A CD A B C