Harriet Morrison Irwin
Listen to part of a lecture in an architectural history class.
- What are the speakers mainly discussing?
- A. An architect from the United States and a house design she created.
- B. The disadvantage of houses based on a square design.
- C. Difficulties faced by residential architects in the nineteenth century.
- D. Women who had a major influence on architecture in the United States.
- Why does the professor quote from the journal The American Architect and Building News?
- A. To point out a source of biographical information about Harriet Morrison Irwin.
- B. To emphasize his point that there were few southern U.S. architects in the nineteenth century.
- C. To support his assertion that nineteenth-century residential architects did not get enough respect.
- D. To point out that interest in southern U.S. architecture increased during the nineteenth century.
- What does the professor say about Irwin’s education in architecture?
- A. She acquired knowledge through independent study.
- B. She studied with an architect who helped her patent her design.
- C. She was trained in architecture starting at a young age.
- D. She was the first woman in the United States to attend architecture school.
- What feature of Irwin’s design shows the influence of John Ruskin?
- A. The size of the rooms.
- B. The length and shape of the hallways.
- C. The main entrance of the house.
- D. The placement of windows and doors.
- According to the professor, what interior features of the house Irwin designed were especially beneficial?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWER]
- A. Circular rooms with windows in the ceiling.
- B. Floors that were easy to clean.
- C. A large, spacious common area.
- D. A single-fireplace system that heated the entire house.
- What does the professor imply about Irwin’s nineteenth-century biographers?
- A. They were probably envious of her success.
- B. They did not sufficiently value function in residential architecture.
- C. They did not know much about architects from the southern United States.
- D. They understood the difficulties faced by women architects.
答案：A C A D BD B