Listen to part of a lecture in an environmental science class.
- What is the main purpose of the lecture?
- A. To argue that carbon emissions today are not the only factor responsible for global warming
- B. To provide evidence that rates of global carbon emissions fluctuate over time
- C. To show the importance of distinguishing between different types of carbon emissions
- D. To describe different ways carbon is removed from the atmosphere
- What aspects of outer space does the professor emphasize?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. Its vastness
- B. Its cold temperatures
- C. The absence of life there
- D. Its role as the ultimate source of energy on Earth
- According to the professor, how do the oceans remove carbon from the atmosphere?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. By dissolving it
- B. Through a process of condensation and precipitation
- C. By storing the remains of marine animals
- D. Through the regulation of air temperature
- Why does the professor mention mining?
- A. To explain why the price of fossil fuels is continually rising
- B. To explain how certain fuel sources can be recovered from the ocean floor
- C. To explain why coal and oil are more difficult to obtain than natural gas
- D. To explain why fossil fuels contribute to an excess of carbon in the atmosphere
- What does the professor mean when he refers to biomass carbon as “current carbon”?
- A. It is the fuel source most widely approved by environmentalists today.
- B. It is part of a balanced system of carbon emission and absorption.
- C. It is circulated throughout the oceans by the movement of ocean water.
- D. It readily combines with other carbon molecules to produce long chains.
- Why does the professor say this: 🎧
- A. To let students know that the term “greenhouse effect” will be tested
- B. To indicate that the definition of “greenhouse effect” will be discussed
- C. To suggest that his previous definition of “greenhouse effect” was imprecise
- D. To acknowledge that there is controversy surrounding the use of the term “greenhouse effect”
C BC AC D B B