TPO54-L1 Migration Of Zooplankton
Listen to part of the lecture in the marine biology class.
- What does the professor mainly discuss?
- A. The importance of zooplankton in the marine food chain
- B. The interdependence of two types of tiny marine organisms
- C. A physical feature of zooplankton that makes them well adapted for swimming
- D. A phenomenon observed in some species of zooplankton
- Why does the professor conclude that zooplankton must derive an important benefit from diel vertical migration?
- A. Diel vertical migration uses up a lot of energy.
- B. Diel vertical migration exposes zooplankton to predators.
- C. Diel vertical migration prevents zooplankton from being able to digest phytoplankton.
- D. Diel vertical migration forces zooplankton populations to live permanently in cold water.
- What does the professor imply about bioluminescent zooplankton?
- A. Their food source is different from that of other zooplankton.
- B. They probably do not rely on diel vertical migration to avoid predation.
- C. They migrate deeper than other zooplankton species do.
- D. Most species are found in very cold water.
- Why does the professor mention fish that live in freshwater lakes?
- A. To point out that many aquatic species exhibit diel vertical migration
- B. To give an example of a species of fish that feeds on bioluminescent zooplankton
- C. To make a comparison between fish and zooplankton
- D. To support one of the theories explaining why zooplankton migrate
- Avoiding predators is one possible explanation for why zooplankton dive so deeply in the ocean. What two other explanations for this phenomenon does the professor offer?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. To avoid ultraviolet light
- B. To avoid strong ocean currents
- C. To digest in colder waters
- D. To find abundant food sources
- What does the professor imply about the reasons for diel vertical migration in zooplankton?
- A. No single explanation for all species can account for this phenomenon.
- B. Researchers have not been able to propose plausible theories to explain this phenomenon.
- C. All individual organisms have several reasons for migrating.
- D. Researchers were able to agree on an explanation for this phenomenon after many years of investigation.