Listen to part of a lecture in a biology class.
- What does the professor mainly discuss?
- A. Long-distance seasonal migration of seabirds
- B. Two major ways that seabirds navigate
- C. A seabird that flies far in search of food
- D. Reasons why seabirds often live on islands
- According to the professor, what influences an albatross’s choice of an island for nesting?
- A. Air currents near the island
- B. Availability of food on the island
- C. Predators inhabiting the island
- D. The number of albatross already nesting on the island
- According to the professor, what helps albatross chicks survive despite the fact that their parents have to fly such long distances to find food?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. Albatross raise only one chick at a time.
- B. Albatross forage only for foods that are exceptionally rich in nutrients.
- C. Albatross store large quantities of food in the nest.
- D. Albatross chicks are adapted to tolerate long intervals without food.
- What does the professor imply about theories that explain how albatross navigate?
- A. They are based on studies of seabirds in captivity.
- B. They are based on observation of albatross in the wild.
- C. They are guesses that are not based on any evidence about birds.
- D. They have not been confirmed by studies of albatross themselves.
- According to the professor, why do some biologists doubt that magnetite helps birds navigate?
- A. Its magnetic properties are quite weak.
- B. It is found in young birds that cannot fly yet.
- C. It is found in all albatross species.
- D. It is in birds that do not migrate.
- Why does the professor say this: 🎧
- A. To emphasize how wasteful the albatross behavior is
- B. To encourage students to reflect on how impressive the albatross behavior is
- C. To signal that she is about to introduce a new topic
- D. To find out whether the students have understood her explanations
C C AD D D B