A Formal Analysis Of Art
Listen to part of a lecture in an art history class.
- What point does the professor make about the writing of a formal analysis in art history?
- A. Its objective is to identify common features of several works of art.
- B. Its most important part is the explanation of an artwork’s significance.
- C. Several styles of writing a formal analysis are used by art historians.
- D. A particular approach is required to present Information about an artwork.
- According to the professor, what will students need to do before writing the art history paper?
- A. Look at examples of formal analysis in textbooks
- B. Take notes on the artwork they will write about
- C. Go to different museums before selecting a topic for the paper
- D. Study the historical context of the artwork they will write about
- Why does the professor mention an English class?
- A. To explain the difference between visual language and written language
- B. To explain that students need good writing skills for their assignment
- C. To point out similarities between a poetry paper and the students’ assignment
- D. To point out that many art historians become writers
- What does the professor recommend as a way to understand the relationship between different parts of an artwork?
- A. Looking for lines that connect different parts of the work
- B. Examining the artwork from several different angles
- C. Looking for similar colors the artist used throughout the work
- D. Determining how the viewer’s eyes move around the work
- Why does the professor talk about his own experience analyzing the painting of a little boy?
- A. To point out a common misconception about formal analysis
- B. To stress the importance of looking at an artwork thoroughly
- C. To show why a formal analysis should not emphasize small details
- D. To provide an example of an artwork that is easy to analyze
- The professor describes three sections the art history paper should contain.
[Place them in the order in which they should appear in the paper]
- A.Analysis of the design elements the artist uses
- B.Discussion of the meaning of the artwork
- C.Summary of the appearance of the artwork
D B C D B CAB