Listen to part of a lecture in a music history class. The professor has been discussing music of the twentieth century.
- What does the professor mainly discuss?
- A. Musical genres that feature the electric guitar.
- B. Technological advances that made electric guitar possible.
- C. The popularity of rock-roll music.
- D. The evolution of the electric guitar.
- What does the professor say about the sailors who were stationed in Hawaii after the Spanish-American War?
- A. They helped popularize steel guitar music among the people of Hawaii.
- B. They were among the first to play the steel guitar in musical groups.
- C. They introduced the steel guitar to the mainland United States.
- D. They altered the second of the steel guitar by redesigning its slide.
- Why does the professor mention that the steel guitar was played horizontally?
- A. To show how it influenced musical styles such as jazz and blues.
- B. To explain one way of distorting the sound of a guitar.
- C. To emphasize the versatility of acoustic guitars.
- D. To explain the need to amplify the sound of acoustic guitars.
- What distinguished Les Paul’s guitar from electric guitars that preceded it?
- A. It had a solid body.
- B. It was played with a sliding steel rod.
- C. It relied on distortion to create special effects.
- D. It projected sound toward the audience rather than the ceiling.
- What can be inferred about the woman who mentioned Jimi Hendrix?
- A. She previously did not understand the significance of Les Paul’s contribution to the development of electric guitar.
- B. She enjoys listening to music played on an electric guitar more than the professor does.
- C. She prefers listening to electric guitar music that is played with no distortion or special effects.
- D. She is convinced that Hendrix’s style was influenced by Les Paul’s guitar design.
- What does the professor mean when he states that Jimi Hendrix’s “reinvented the electric guitar”?
- A. Hendrix simplified the guitar design to make it easier to play.
- B. Hendrix discovered and corrected defects in previous guitar designs.
- C. Hendrix redesigned the guitar to make it louder.
- D. Hendrix manipulated the guitar to create a distinctive sound.
D C D A A D