Decline Of Coral Reefs
Listen to part of a lecture in a Marine Biology class.
- What is the lecture mainly about?
- A. Reasons CoT starfish are attracted to coral reefs
- B. Possible causes of change in the CoT starfish population
- C. Evidence that coral decline may not be related to CoT starfish
- D. Proven ways to effectively control the CoT starfish population
- According to the professor, what is the role of the giant triton snail in the coral reef ecosystem?
- A. It competes with CoT starfish for food
- B. Its shells provides habitat for CoT starfish
- C. It is a predator of CoT starfish
- D. It can repair coral that has been damaged by CoT starfish
- How might fertilizer runoff affect CoT starfish population?
- A. It might increases the food supply for young CoT starfish
- B. It might wash away nutrients that are beneficial for CoT starfish
- C. It might destroy CoT starfish habitats
- D. It might make phytoplankton dangerous for CoT starfish to eat
- According to the professor, how might storms affect CoT starfish?
- A. Storms might interfere with CoT starfish’ spawning cycle
- B. Storms might reduce the amount of plankton eaten by CoT starfish
- C. Storms might carry starfish predators close to reef system
- D. Storms might reduce the number of feeding areas available to CoT starfish
- What does the professor say about controlling the CoT starfish population?
- A. It will be possible only after the causes of starfish population changes are better understood
- B. Recent discoveries about CoT starfish have made controlling its population easier
- C. Enforcing measures to limit runoff should be sufficient to control the starfish population
- D. Monitoring populations of young starfish will probably not be useful
- Why does the professor mention that CoT starfish eat fast-growing coral?
- A. To show the CoT starfish might benefit slow-growing coral
- B. To explain fluctuation in the CoT starfish population
- C. To indicate that the behavior of CoT starfish has changed over time
- D. To emphasize the danger posed by CoT starfish to coral reefs
B C A D A A