Listen to part of a lecture in an art class.
- What is the purpose of the lecture?
- A. To review important concepts from a previous class
- B. To provide some background for a painting the class will be discussing
- C. To compare two styles of painting
- D. To prepare students for an upcoming project
- Why does the professor mention books and a map?
- A. To give examples of objects that are not typically used in still-life paintings
- B. To give examples of elements of still-life paintings used in other genres of painting
- C. To explain what inspired him to create a still-life painting at university
- D. To explain why still-life paintings are often studied in beginning art classes
- According to the professor, why did artists like James Peale adopt a scientific approach to still-life painting?
- A. Their paintings were used to illustrate scientific journals.
- B. They had studied science at university before becoming artists.
- C. They were interested in exploring the natural world through their art.
- D. They were interested in experimenting with nuances of color.
- Why does the professor tell the story about his own painting of some vegetables?
- A. To emphasize the importance of planning the composition of a still-life painting
- B. To encourage the use of a variety of objects in a still-life painting
- C. To capture the attention of students who are not interested in still-life paintings
- D. To reassure the students that still-life paintings are not difficult to execute
- What point does the professor make about negative space in still-life paintings?
- A. It is overused in many still-life paintings.
- B. It contributes to the balance in the composition of a still-life painting.
- C. It often causes still-life paintings to look deliberately planned.
- D. It may detract from the simplicity of the composition of a still-life painting.
- Why does the professor say this: 🎧
- A. To clarify the first step of painting a still life
- B. To explain why he decided to become a still-life artist
- C. To introduce a painting he is going to describe
- D. To convince students that painting a still life can be rewarding
D B C A B D