1. Why does the man go to see the professor?
- A. To explain an answer he gave on a recent exam.
- B. To discuss a paper he is preparing to write.
- C. To ask about a theory the professor mentioned in class.
- D. To discuss recent events in Europe.
2. What can be inferred about the phlogiston theory?
- A. It did not originate in Europe.
- B. It was the first theory proposed by modern chemists.
- C. It was based on data collected over a long period of time.
- D. It was widely accepted in Europe at one time.
3. According to the professor, what questions about fire did the phlogiston theory try to answer?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. Why fires radiate heat and light.
- B. Why fires cannot survive in an enclosed space.
- C. Why substances lose mass when they burn.
- D. Why some substances burn faster than others.
4. What does the professor suggest the man include in his paper?
- A. A comparison of the alchemy practiced in different regions of the world.
- B. A biography of the scientist who first proposed the phlogiston theory.
- C. A discussion of various developments in eighteenth-century European history.
- D. Details about the applications of the phlogiston theory.
5. What does the professor imply when she says this: 🎧
- A. She thinks the man is an excellent writer.
- B. She thinks the man’s topic maybe too limited.
- C. She wants to know if the man has taken a writing course.
- D. She thinks the man wants to include too much information in his paper.