1. What is the main purpose of the discussion?
- A. To describe the design of hydrophones used by hurricane researchers
- B. To introduce a new approach to measuring the power of hurricanes and cyclones
- C. To explain how meteorologists study the causes of hurricanes and cyclones
- D. To discuss factors that determine the wind speed of hurricanes and cyclones
2. According to the professor，what is one benefit of hurricane monitoring airplanes?
- A. They help meteorologists determine the storm’s path.
- B. They can gather all necessary information in just a few flights.
- C. Their equipment is not as sophisticated as a new technology.
- D. They can provide direct measurements of wind speed.
3. What are two advantages of using a hydrophone to measure hurricane intensity?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. They can transmit underwater sounds to airplanes.
- B. They can lower the cost of monitoring hurricanes.
- C. They can be set up before a hurricane reaches an area.
- D. They can be installed close to the surface of the ocean.
4. What does the professor imply about the relationship between the two researchers he mentions?
- A. It will likely lead to other breakthroughs in meteorology.
- B. It demonstrates the importance of interdisciplinary collaborations.
- C. It developed over many years of working in the similar field.
- D. It led to the invention of an underwater microphone.
5. Why does the professor mention a hydrophone listening for underwater earthquakes?
- A. To point out the fact the underwater earthquakes are hard to detect
- B. To help explain how hydrophones work
- C. To point out that different types of hydrophones exist
- D. To provide the validation of a new technique
6. Why does the professor say this: