1. What is the main purpose of the lecture?
- A. To explain Ottaviano Petrucci’s motivation for printing music
- B. To describe effect that advancements in printing had on music
- C. To examine elements of songs composed during the Renaissance
- D. To compare the types of music printed by Pierre Attaingnant and Ottaviano Petrucci
2. Why does the professor mention volumes of literature?
- A. To point out an advantage of the printing press
- B. To emphasize the amount of printing Petrucci did
- C. To explain how Petrucci’s prints were packaged and sold
- D. To make a point about the cost of Petrucci’s prints
3. What is the professor’s point when he mentions that Pierre Attangrant attained an assurance from the king of France?
- A. Attaingnant should have requested the assurance sooner
- B. The king did not sufficiently consider the risks involved
- C. The assurance made it likely that Attaingnant’s business would succeed
- D. Petrucci would have been wise to obtain a similar assurance
4. What does the professor say about Attaingnant’s prints?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. They cost less than Petrucci’s prints cost.
- B. They were compiled into large bound books.
- C. They were used mainly by amateur musicians.
- D. They contained fewer errors than Petrucci’s did
5. Why does the professor mention an orchestra?
- A. To illustrate a potential challenge for singers using printed books
- B. To explain the origins of Parisian chanson
- C. To identify an additional genre of music that Attaingnant printed
- D. To help explain Attaingnant’s musical background
6. What does the professor say about Parisian chanson?
[CHOOSE 2 ANSWERS]
- A. The songs contained more vocal parts than other genres of music did
- B. The songs required one performer to serve as the conductor of the group
- C. The songs had all the singers start at the same time
- D. The songs begin with each vocal part singing the same rhythm