Listen to part of a lecture in a Marine Biology Class.
- What is the lecture mainly about?
- A. Recent fossil evidence connecting whales and the hippopotamus.
- B. Difficulties in the determining the evolutionary history of whales.
- C. Similarities among ancient ancestors of whales.
- D. Similarities between whales and other modern-day animals.
- According to the professor, what three aspects of the Ambulocetus fossil make Ambulocetus a likely bridge between land mammals and sea mammals?
[CHOOSE 3 ANSWERS]
- A. It had an elongated skeletal structure.
- B. It strongly resembled a modern hippopotamus.
- C. It had an unusually kind and thin tail for a whale.
- D. It had limbs that could have been used for walking
- E. Its skull had ear bones characteristic of land mammals
- According to the professor ,what does the discovery of Ambulocetus mean to researchers?
- A. It fills a gap in the fossil evidence for whale evolution.
- B. It has become less significant since the discovery of Basilosaurus.
- C. It call into doubt the theory that whale evolved from land mammals.
- D. It suggests that whales evolved more recently than was previously believed.
- What evidence suggests that whale are descendants of the hippopotamus?
- A. Similarities between hippopotamus fossils and the Ambulocetus fossil.
- B. Similarities in the genes of hippopotamuses and whales.
- C. Similarities in the habitats of modern hippopotamuses and ancient whales.
- D. Similarities in the skeletal structures of modern hippopotamuses and ancient whales.
- What is the professor’s opinion about recent genetic studies relating to whale evolution?
- A. They solve a long-standing mystery involving fossil evidence.
- B. They contain significant errors.
- C. They present evidence that conflicts with fossil evidence.
- D. The findings of the various studies should not have surprised researchers.
- What does DNA evidence indicate about relationships among whales?
- A. All modern whales descend from sperm whales.
- B. Differences among toothed whales are less significant that was previously thought.
- C. Not all toothed whales are closely related.
- D. Sperm whale are more closely related to killer whales than was previously thought.
C C AD D D B